Friday 30 October 2015

Supporting Early Childhood Education in Fiji

A friend of mine runs a charity called EduFiji Kidz, ( http://www.edufijikidz.com/ ) which aims to support early childhood education in Fiji.  She asked if I would be able to make some of my pipecleaner figures for some of the centres in Fiji, as while a team of us had been busy creating teacher resources for centres in Fiji, she had had another 10 centres in Fiji who wanted to come aboard with what she was doing.  So I put on my thinking hat and decided to make story telling characters.  I did the characters for the story of Hansel and Gretel - father, stepmother, boy, girl and a witch.  However, these are basic characters and can be used to tell many other stories. I haven't put expressions on their faces for that reason.  

Creating the stepmother. Once you have put the basic pipecleaner figure together, you dress them.  The dress is made from a rectangle of felt, folded in half with a small hole in the middle for the head.  Then you wrap thread around the middle of the body, to hold the dress together.

A collection of fathers, stepmothers, Hansels and Gretels in the process of being made.

One story set: witch, stepmother, father, Gretel, and Hansel.




Four sets of storytelling characters ready to go to Fiji and immerse the children and teachers in the wonderful world of storytelling!

Close up of a witch. I didn't have time to embellish witches with sequins (that would have taken too long), but I found some old tubes of fabric glitter glue, which I used to decorate the witches hats and capes with.



Close up of one Gretel with plaited hair.

Close-up of another Gretel, slightly different.  I have cut her dress to give the feel of raggedy clothing, as they were a poor family and did not have much money (which was why the stepmother wanted the father to take the children out into the forest and kill them. What a terrible stepmother.).  

Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment