Thursday 22 October 2015

Halloween

I like the magic and mystery that surrounds Halloween, and, again inspired by the amazing book "Forest Fairy Crafts", had lots of fun creating these witches, wizards and warlocks. You can easily make each one individual and unique by using different coloured yarn for the hair, or different shaped sequins, different coloured sequins, special patterns, embroidered stars, whatever your fancy and whatever you have the energy for doing.  Making each one unique is the fun part. These ones are more time consuming to create than the fairies, because there is a bit more sewing involved with the coats and hats, especially if you decorate with stars or sequins. But I still managed to make 9 of them in less than 2 days.


I made the cauldrons a few years ago (I actually made them for St Patricks Day, as the pot at the bottom of the rainbow) but they double up perfectly for use as witches cauldrons.  They are numbered, so children can put that many items into the cauldron (good for number recognition and 1-1 counting).
The frogs are made out of green fimo modelling clay.  I made them about 5 years ago, to go with the song "5 Little Speckled Frogs", so that children could make them jump on and off the log as they sang the song.  

I made the ghosts and pumpkins using a dough made of 2 parts cornflour and 1 part PVA glue (although I ended up putting in probably at least another cup of cornflour, because it was really sticky).  Just mix all together in a bowl until it starts to form a dough that you can mould with.

 I shaped the ghosts and pumpkins, let dry overnight, then baked in the oven at about 120 degrees Celcius slowly for an hour or two to let dry completely, before painting them.  I didn't paint the ghosts, just used a black marker to dot on the eyes and mouths.



This one is my favourite witch.  I think I shall call her Clementine, and I have written a little Halloween poem about her.

"Come in, come in", says Clementine,
Welcome to my cafe.
I hope you enjoy the menu,
I make it fresh each day.
Today's special is the B.L.T.
It's Bat, Lizard, and Toad.
It's juicy, crunchy and tasty,
Freshly squished today on the road.
The soup of the day is Spiderleg Soup,
Served with Warts on Toast on the side.
Or, if you prefer, there is Eyeball Stew,
Which is tender and chewy inside.
I have a wide selection of pies in the warmer:
Snake & Kidney, and Mince & Fleas.
The Potato Snot Pie is delicious,
With a crusty texture that is sure to please.
For the sweet tooth, I have a Parrot Cake.
My own secret recipe, you know.
But for a real special treat, try the Chocolate Log,
Complete with slaters and slugs below.
If you're thirsty, try one of my refreshing wee's.
The Green Goblin's does wonders for you.
A Mango Snake's wee is light and tasty,
And you should try my Slime Milkshake, too.
When it comes to dessert, it's hard to go past
A Mice Pudding, or Citrus Fart.
The Skeleton Crumble is served with ice cream,
And topped with a peppermint heart.
So come in, place an order, do sit down.
You'll be pleased that you came here too.
If you have any complaints, please see me in the kitchen,
And you'll be put into tomorrow's stew.

by Sally Pugh


I wrote a little Halloween Song too:

A Witches Cat
Tune: A Pizza Hut or A Ram Sam Sam (both are the same tune)  

A witches cat, a witches cat
A spooky old skeleton
And a witches cat.
A zombie, a zombie
A spooky old skeleton
And a witches cat.

Actions: 
witch - make the shape of a witches hat on your head
cat - hold up your hands like claws
spooky old skeleton - shake your body
zombie - put arms out in front

by Sally Pugh

If You're Happy and You Know It - Halloween version!
I made this one up spontaneously with the children at mat time - the kids helped with ideas of what to do.

If you're happy and you know it, fly your broom
If you're happy and you know it, fly your broom
If you're happy and you know it
And you really want to show it
If you're happy and you know it, fly your broom

Other verses:
Skeleton - If you're happy and you know it shake your bones
Ghost - If you're happy and you know it say oooooooo (use a spooky voice)
Zombie - If you're happy and you know it, be a zombie hold out arms in front of you!)
Bat - If you're happy and you know it, flap your wings
If you're happy and you know it, shout boo - BOO!

Counting Monsters
Tune of 1 little, 2 little, 3 little Indians.  This can be changed to anything - monsters, vampires, zombies, ghosties.

1 little, 2 little, 3 little monsters
4 little, 5 little, 6 little monsters
7 little, 8 little 9 little monsters
10 little monster boys and girls.

10 little, 9 little, 8 little monsters
7 little 6 little, 5 little monsters
4 little, 3 little, 2 little monsters
1 little monster boy and girl.


Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment