Friday 7 October 2016

The rooster and the sultan: 100 Days Project - mat time resources

I came across this story on this blog post by Evelyn Davis... The Sultan and the Magic Rooster. and was inspired to tell the story and create characters for telling the story.
I decided to papier-mâché the characters, using plastic cups as the base, as they are firm, and I had them sitting in my craft room waiting for a project. I covered the cups in masking tape first, to give a base to adhere the glue and paper to, as glue and paper will not stick to plastic.
I covered the cup completely in masking tape with several strips over the top of the cup.
I used layers of tissue paper and watered down PVA glue, applying a couple of layers and letting them dry before carrying on the next day.
Plastic cups covered in their first layer of tissue paper and PVA glue.
One dry and one wet cup.

After applying a number of layers of white tissue paper, I began using coloured tissue paper.
Paper cups in progress.
Wet papier-mâché cups drying. I applied several more layers of coloured tissue paper to each cup.
Dry papier-mâché cups ready for the next stage.
I used craft foam for the roosters beak and wattle. I cut out two pieces of red foam with a bit of extra length for folding. I applied glue to the inside of the two pieces of red foam, stuck them together and folded up the bottom part, to creat a base to adhere to the cup. I used a bulldog clip to hold it fast while it dried.
I cut up cream tissue paper into circles and glued on several layers to each cup for the faces. I ended up painting over them using a mix of orange and white paint to create a flesh colour.
I glued feathers onto the back of the rooster. I used a tacky craft glue, and used an elastic band around the feathers and cup to hold them in place while they dried.
The sultan, the old lady, and the servants... Starting to apply details using paint for hands, and black sharpie for faces and arms.
I used scraps of fabric to create headgear, as i think Turkish people often wear headgear.

A bit of lace added for the old lady.
The completed rooster.
The Sultan of Turkey. I used gold outliner paint to add details as I wanted him to look rich.
 
A bit of yellow edging ribbon for the old lady's head.
The old lady, the rooster, the sultan, and his three servants.


Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment