Saturday 1 October 2016

The Gigantic Turnip



This is a wonderful story with lots of repetitive language.  It was fun to make and fun to tell, and the tamariki have been doing this story every day since I brought it in.  The first time I told it, I sat down with 2 children who wanted to listen. It wasn't long before I had 10 children around me, all sitting quietly and listening to the story.
 The old man and the old woman.  See the link on how to create them using scraps of felt: How to make Jack's mum (and many other human characters).
Details are added using a fine black sharpie pen.
The little house that they lived in.  
I used coloured pens to do the details with, but the colours have run. Will not be able to wash this.  I quite like the effect but have learnt that I need to find other ways to add details, such as using fabric pens, markers and paint (which I do have, somewhere!).
The vegetables that they sowed... peas, beans, potatoes, carrots, and turnips.
The old man and the old woman trying to pull the turnip out of the ground.

The cow and chicken I made when doing Jack and the Beanstalk; the horse and sheep template was from Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?; I made the cat when doing the story The Gingerbread Man.
The cast and crew of The Gigantic Turnip ready to go into a story sack and take to school.

Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment