Sunday 25 September 2016

Jack and The Beanstalk - 100 Days Project: Mat Time Resources

Being a wet miserable day today, I have been able to spend all day in the craft room.  Which means working on my 100 Days Project!  This is the story of Jack and the Beanstalk - the story so far (I am yet to make the Giant and the Giant's Wife).  

All are created out of felt, so they can be used on flannel boards, felt boards, and that other stuff that schools use on their walls (felt and velcro stick to it but I can't remember what it is called!).

I use acrylic felt, fabric paints & markers, and PVA glue as well as tacky glue (depending on which one I have closest to me - both work equally well).

I start by sketching the outlines which I then trace onto clear acetate, to create my template.  Once I have a template, I can use it again and again for different stories.  
 Jack.  I keep my figures pretty simple.  
I use scraps of coloured felt for the clothes and glue them on.
 The bag of magic beans.
 The giant's money bag full of gold coins.
 The cloud at the top of the beanstalk.
 The giant's castle.
 The chicken.  I made three chickens at once because I will use them in different stories - one for Jack & The Beanstalk; one for The Enormous Turnip; and one for The Gingerbread Man. I think it is easier to do multiple chickens all at once. 
 To paint the details, I use Pebeo fabric paints - Pebeo Touch have a nozzle for fine work; the Setaskrib are fabric pens; and the Pebeo Line is a black outliner but is no longer available - that range of stock was replaced by Pebeo Touch.
 The harp.  I used Pebeo Black outliner to do the details.
 I found a really clever technique that makes it so much easier for cutting out tricky shapes.  I found this tip on this wonderful blog by Wee Folk Art.  Use a low adhesive tape and tape the template down on your felt.  It holds the felt still so that it doesn't move or stretch, and keeps the template adhered to the felt and you just cut around it.  Then you peel the template off and peel the tape off the surrounding felt.  


 Jack's mum.  I cut the basic template out in beige felt, then used felt scraps for the dress, apron, sleeves, collar, hair, and shoes.
 Glue the layers and details on, using either PVA or tacky craft glue.  
 The strange little man, the cow, Jack's mum
The chicken and the golden egg, and the magic harp.
 The chicken and the golden egg, the sack of gold, and the magic harp
 The cow, Jack, and his mum
The old man and the bag of magic beans.\

Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment