Friday 29 January 2016

Star Wars!

I received a Facebook message from a friend of my sisters, asking if I could make felt Starwars figures, as her husband's 40th birthday was coming up, and he was mad about Star Wars. She had seen some on Pinterest. So I googled felt Starwars figures, and there is quite a variety to look at, lots of different ways people have made them - felt finger puppets, felt key rings, intricately detailed needle felted figures.  My first response was "No way! Too difficult!".  But it is funny how your mind works.  Take a problem, go to sleep, and your subconscious will work on it while you sleep.  There is a book called "Grow Rich While You Sleep" (I forget who the author is) that details how this works.  Waldorf schools also use the power of sleep with stories - tell a story one day and let the children process the story in their sleep that night.

Anyway, I said I would think on it, meaning 'No, I can't do it'.  Early the next morning, in that dream state just before I began gaining consciousness as I started to wake up, I found myself thinking of my pipecleaner figures, which led to imagining how to do Princess Leia. Then once I had made Princess Leia in my head, I began visualising Luke Skywalker. Of course, there is a difference between seeing it in your minds eye, and actually doing it.  So I got up and went into my craft room and began creating a pattern for Princess Leia. She was really fun to make.
Once I had made Princess Leia, I began thinking of how to do Luke Skywalker and tried to figure out how to make his top, which kind of looks like a karate costume.
Unfortunately they don't wear hats, which I use to help hide the top of my pipecleaner figures' hair.  I then made Lukey a removable cape.
Then came Hans Solo. I made his costume slightly differently, and it needed to be sewn around him. I tried to add in all the little details, such as the red stripes down the side of his trousers, the waistcoat, the gun halter and the strap around his leg...

Then came Darth Vader...
followed by...
The next morning, I was off to Spotlight buying brown fur, to make...
From one question with my answer being "No I can't do it", I spent an entire weekend making Star Wars figures, and am pretty pleased with the results! Yes the stormtrooper looks a little funny, I just can't figure out how else to make one at the moment.  Perhaps C3P0 will come next...

These Star Wars figures are available for sale, and you can find me each month at the Mt Eden Village Craft Market.  https://www.facebook.com/Mt-Eden-Village-Craft-Market-338452259534044/





No comments:

Post a Comment