Saturday 30 January 2016

Dragonfly Craft

For my birthday this year, I was given some craft felt - and it is very stiff felt, almost like card! I have got it sitting in my craft room waiting to be inspired... and sure enough, around 6am in that dreamy semi-conscious state just before I start to wake up, I start thinking about dragonflies, and sparkles, and how to make them, and then I had a brainwave! The stiff craft felt would be perfect for the wings, as they would hold their shape and not flap down!

So, off I went into my craft room, designing on paper, drawing, cutting, then transferring my pattern to the craft felt.  I cut out 4 individual wings for the dragon fly, but it would work better to just do two long wings, and attach them to the dragonfly body in the middle.

To make the dragonfly, you will need:
scrap of dark felt for body
stiff craft felt for wings
sequins
paper or card for the template
pencil
scissors
needle & thread

Draw a template for the wings. Rather than cutting out 4 wings, just make two really long wings (shape them so that they are thinner in the middle) and cut out.
Transfer to the felt, draw around the template, and cut out.

Stitch sequins to the craft felt.

To make the dragon fly body, fold a long thin scrap of dark felt in half lengthwise and sew the edges together.  To emphasise the body parts - the head, abdomen and thorax or tail - tightly wrap a piece of thread around the felt at the appropriate places and tie off. Sew 2 black sequins on the head for eyes.
Stitch the wings on.


No comments:

Post a Comment