Friday 23 March 2018

Sorting Trays

 Sometimes the budget just doesn't cover the things you would really like to have. I have been looking at kindergarten and nursery blogs and pages that use sorting trays - and they always look amazing! Sorting helps children to compare, classify and group objects, which is mathematics. They look for differences and similarities. Being able to verbally express their reasons why they are putting particular objects together is a communication skill. Children often come up with their own criteria for classifying objects, which in my experience are often more insightful than the ones we as adults may use. I have been dreaming about sorting trays in my classroom for a few years now, and still haven't got them... time to make my own! And actually, it wasn't too difficult to make them myself!

This sorting tray was actually a school set of crayons - the box had compartments for each colour. I simply pulled the compartments out, lined the sides and sections with scrapbooking paper, and put back into place.

This box was a gift box that had toiletries in it. It was a lovely sturdy box with a pretty pattern on the outside, and it seemed a shame to throw it away! To make the compartments, I used thick card. Begin by measuring the width and depth of the sections. Use a ruler and craft knife to cut the card.
Use masking tape to tape the cardboard sections into place. I then lined the inside of each section with scraps of leather and possum fur which a friend had given me.

I made this box from scratch, using thick card called 6008 - but mat board would do too. I measured the base of my box, and used those measurements to cut the sides of the box - adding on a few extra millimetres for the joins.  I then measured and cut the inside sections of the box - one long strip, and one short strip.
I secured the sides to the base of the box using masking tape - and lots of it! The inner sections were secured to the sides with masking tape as well.
I then covered the outside of the box with scrapbooking paper and PVA glue. Then I measured and cut scrapbooking paper to line the inner sections of the box.
I have always wanted a mirror tray, so I glued a little craft mirror in one section. I put washi tape around the edges of the mirror to avoid any sharp edges, and also used the washi tape to tidy up the inside top edges of the box.

Click on the link to see all my other craft posts
Clink on this link to see all my other teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment