Monday 19 March 2018

Dolls House Furniture from Toilet Rolls

You will need:
Toilet rolls
PVA glue
Scissors
Black marker pen

This dolls-house furniture came about from trying to figure out what I could make with toilet rolls in an effort to be a little more sustainable. As with most creative ventures, it came from playing around with ideas. I began by flattening the toilet roll, using a bone folder, to create a rectangular prism. I then snipped one end, folded the ends in and glued into place, and then folded the top to make different sized furniture. 
 I used a black marker pen to draw on the details.

 To make the bookshelf, I flattened the toilet roll into a rectangular prism, then cut one face off. I folded the ends up and in, and glued in place. I bent and shaped the cut off rectangle to make shelves, and glued into place.

 
Begin by flattening the toilet roll. I used a bone folder (or paper folder) to press down hard and make a crease.  

Decide on the width of your furniture and make another crease using the bone folder/paper folder.

Your cardboard roll should now be a rectangular shape. 
 Make cuts at either end of the roll and fold the flaps inwards. The length of your cuts will depend on what you are making, and how big/small you want it.
 It should look similar to this.
Begin folding the flaps inwards, and glue in place (or you could use double sided tape if you wish - less messy and you don't have to hold it into place while it dries). I put a heavy object on top to hold it down while it dried.  





To make a dressing table, I used a scrap piece of glitter card that was the packaging for a bath toiletries gift set I received at Christmas. It's shape was perfect for the dresser.
To make a chair, cut a toilet roll in half.

 Cut flaps on one side only. 
Bend 3 of the flaps inwards to create the chair, leaving one flap up for the back of the chair.
If you wish, you could cover it with scrap fabrics. 
 Glue the flaps into place.
To make a 3 sided piece of furniture, such as a shower stall or a bookshelf, make 2 creases on your toilet roll to create a rectangular prism; then cut off one side. 
To make a bookshelf, cut flaps on both ends and fold inwards.
To make a shower stall, cut flaps on one end only, and fold inwards. Glue into place. 
You could add details such as a shower head using a marker pen.

To make a bookshelf, fold the cut-off flap forwards and backwards at desired lengths, to create shelves. Glue into place.

I am sure there is a lot more furniture that can be created from toilet rolls! I would love to see what you make too.

I have been trying to come up with ways to re-use toilet rolls in an effort to reduce wastage. So far I have made lanterns and beds and cradles.

Click on the link to see all my other craft posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment