Friday 9 June 2017

Miniature Crockery


After having made a miniature delectable feast, as found in a previous post showing you how to make your own miniature felt food, I decided my gnomes needed some plates and cups. I looked around my craft room for ideas.

I found an empty chocolate box, and the inside was perfect for making plates and bowls. I cut around the outer circles at the base of the packaging for the plates. Simple, and super effective, not to mention affordable!

Plates and bowls cut from the packaging out of a chocolate box.

I also tried making plates by cutting circles out of a variety of plastic disposable plates, as well as lids. I prefer the chocolate box plates though! But looking at these circles of plastic gave me another idea... I love how ideas generate ideas. Often I start off not knowing where I am going to end up but I really enjoy the process.
I then wanted to make a cake stand. Again, I looked around my craft room to see what I had, and raided my stash of lids. I collect lids from toothpaste, dishwashing liquid, medicine bottles, bottle caps, etc, partly for transient art at school, loose parts, and also for possible crafts.

In my stash of lids, I found a lid. I think it came from a bottle of pills.
I gathered together a selection of plastic beads and buttons, to figure out how I was going to separate the layers for my cake stand.
I cut up a plastic plate into three circles, in graduating sizes. They do not have to be perfect circles.
I glued the large circle to the lid, and then began playing with beads and working out how to separate the layers. I found adding a button to the bead helped to raise it without making the centre post take up too much room, thereby leaving space for food.
When I was happy with it, I glued the middle layer on, and added another bead and button. 
Then I glued on the top plate. Voila! One cake stand.

Once I had finished making my stash of crockery, I began placing food on them... the cookies fit perfectly on the plates!



The dollar coin is there to give you an indication of size.

No comments:

Post a Comment