Saturday 27 August 2016

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? - 100 Days project: mat time resources

Today's story was Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? by Eric Carle.

All animals were cut out of felt, with the simple addition of a black eye using a fine Sharpie pen. I tried to keep the shapes as simple as possible.  I didn't do a teacher or children because I am the teacher, and the children are the children, so the story comes off the board and into the room.

I used clear acetate to create the templates.  These templates will most likely be reused as I create more stories as the project goes on - the horse, duck, dog, sheep and frog templates will be perfect for Old McDonald Has a Farm, and other farm-based stories.








The story has simple, repetitive language, and is a great introduction to getting children to tell stories themselves. It empowers young children to become the story teller, and they can put the animals in any order they want. When children begin school, they will be expected to write stories. I believe they will not be able to write stories until they can tell stories. They need to be able to have the language, be confident with using language, and knowledge of sentence structure and how stories work, in order to be able to tell good stories. And I have found that having these story sacks out for children to be able to use and access themselves, without being teacher directed, enables them to build up all these skills. Of course, they still ask me to tell stories, and I willingly do so. I am the role model of telling stories. Children need to hear the stories before they can tell the stories.

Click on the link for more of my teaching resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment