Saturday 22 August 2015

100 Days of Christmas: Paper and Card decorations... a winter house


I love paper and card, and have a huge stash of it in my craft room.  One of the things about this 100 Days project is that I want to use up what I have got, rather than buy more stuff. For my paper and card decorations, I began by making templates on acetate.  Once you have templates, most of the hardwork is done, and all you have to do from there is cut and paste. When making my templates, I went through a variety of Quilting and Sewing magazines (Christmas issues) to find suitable patterns and pictures to use, and traced over them.




 I find that once you start creating, you start thinking of other things you can do.  With the first house I made, I glued transparent paper onto the card for the windows.

 But then I thought, if I cut out the windows and used the transparent paper in the windows, then the fairy lights will shine through the windows and light up the house.




You will need:
Card (I used 285gsm card)
Paper (I used a sparkly white paper for the roof and chimney; yellow transparent paper for the windows; and handmade red/brown paper for the house
PVA glue
craft knife
scissors
house template




Draw around the house template on the card.  I folded the card in half along the base, and then drew and cut out the house shape.









Draw a window in the middle of the house, and cut out using a craft knife.







 



Cut a piece of transparent paper to fit easily over the window.  Make sure it overlaps the window - be generous.  Spread glue over one side of the house, and place transparent paper over the window.










Spread glue over the overlapping transparent paper, and press the other side of the house down, to encase the window.









Fold the red/brown paper in half, trace around the house shape onto the paper.  Cut out.  Place over the top of the house, and hold up to the light to see where the window is - use a pencil to lightly draw around the edge of the window. Use a craft knife to cut out the window.

Glue both sides of the house shape onto the house.





  

Trace the roof shape and the chimney top onto the white paper x2.  Cut out, and glue onto the roof.  Trim the paper to fit the house.

When dry, make a hole and thread a piece of string through to hang up.


No comments:

Post a Comment