Monday 25 December 2017

Playing with Felt

I enjoy just being able to play around in my craft room. I had borrowed this beautiful book on making pincushions from my mum, so I had a go at making some... which led me to adapting ideas and creating a little trinket box. I have limited embroidery skills as I have not done it since primary school, so I have just been teaching myself and trying out some ideas. I find that ideas lead onto further ideas and more play. Some of the ideas work, and some don't.

Felt Heart Decoration

I cut out some basic heart shapes: 2 x same size, and 1 smaller heart; and some felt flowers and tiny circles for the centre of the flower.
I laid the smaller heart and felt flowers over the larger heart then sewed them on.
I then sandwiched a ribbon in between the two white heart pieces and sewed it together to finish.

Caravan

I saw the felt caravans on Pinterest. To make the caravans, I cut out two caravan shapes out of felt; a fabric rectangle for the door, and smaller squares/rectangles for the windows. I then traced around the top of the caravan to get the shape for the top piece, and cut out of fabric. I added ric rac for details, and a button for the wheel.  

Needlefelted Toadstools

I tried making miniature needlefelted toadstools in a macadamia nut shell. Still deciding on what to do with it. Perhaps it could go in an indoor fairy garden. 

Needlefelted Hearts

I just made basic needlefelted hearts (The Magic Onions have a wonderful easy tutorial on how to make needle felted hearts. which is how I learnt). I added tiny flowers to the hearts once I had finished. Flowers can be added by wrapping a tiny bit of wool roving around your little finger, pull off and stab into place. Get an even smaller piece of roving in a different colour; roll between your fingers to create a ball; and stab in the centre of your flower.

 Pincushions

I had some old teacups in the cupboard which are pretty but I never use; so I repurposed them with the help of a gorgeous book on making pincushions. I added ribbons, felt flowers and beads to decorate.




There was a felt pincushion in the book which was rather cute, so I had a go at making..


Trinket Box

After making the felt pincushion above, I wondered if I could adapt it to create a little box. This was a bit of trial and error and figuring things out as I went.
I haven't done embroidery in a very long time, but it was fun to pick it up again and decorate the little trinket box. 

I added a lid which was also embellished. The lid is sewn on so that it lifts up.


Kadinsky Inspired Pouches

By this time I was on a roll, and I wondered if it would be possible to make a little purse or pouch. I cut a rectangle of felt, and worked out where to put the embellishments.
I cut out a variety of circles of different sizes and colours, and layered them on top of each other, finishing with a bead. I then decided to cut out some leaf shapes, and sewed them on.
I folded the bottom part of the felt up, and sewed along the sides, leaving enough room at the top to be able to fold over like a purse. I did blanket stitch across all the edges and added a button and a loop of thread to close.
The front of the pouch
The back of the pouch.



Click on the link to see all my other craft tutorials


Click here to see all my Christmas related tutorials

No comments:

Post a Comment