Saturday 19 March 2016

Paper Flowers

Yesterday, on one of my rare visits to the shops (I much prefer browsing second hand and charity shops than going to malls or large stores, but I wanted to get my nieces and nephew something for Easter), I found the We R Memory Keeper Flower Punch Board on special for $25 at The Warehouse, reduced from $40.  I find it hard to go past a craft bargain, and I love paper flowers, and anything that helps to make the process less fiddly and time consuming has got to be good.  So I bought it and took it home and I have been making paper flowers ever since!

I thought I would share how easy it is to make them using the punch.  As with all crafts, however, it does take time, so do make sure you have a bit of time to spend making them.

The punch comes with instructions, a paper creaser, and a tool for rolling around the petals, to create a curve.

The board states the measurements (both in inches and cm) for the different sizes of flowers.  Cut your paper into strips according to the size you want to make.  A paper cutter is helpful for this, otherwise use a craft knife, mat and ruler.  I cut several sheets of paper at a time, and used both 80gsm paper and 120gsm paper.

 Place your paper vertically and line up along the 'Start' line.  Push the punch down (this creates the petal shape) and use the paper creaser to crease the paper along the indented lines.  Move your paper down to line up your horizontal crease next to the line marked on the board (this will make more sense when you use it).  Push the punch down to create the next petal, and repeat until you have created 8 petals (the larger sizes use two strips of paper, so you will create 4 petals at a time). 
This is what it should like one you have completed one strip.  I do 3 strips at a time.  I think 4 strips might be a bit too much for the punch to cope with easily, but 1-3 strips works well. 
Once you have completed a strip, accordion fold along the creased lines (fold back and forth along the lines).  Again, I did this 3 strips at a time.

 Continue folding back and forth until you have completed the strip.  It will start to form a circle.

 The folded strips of paper.  You can see that one side has the pleats showing - this will be the back of the flower.
 Put a dab of glue on the end tab and stick down on the last petal.  .
The completed flower.
A variety of flowers, in different sizes and colours.

 Layer the flowers on one another. I have made a variety - some are 3 layers, some are 4 layers, and some are 2 layers.  I layered a large flower with an extra small flower.
 When you are happy with the arrangement, put a dab of glue in the middle of each flower and press the next layer into it.  I found it easiest to go from the bottom up. 

 You can cut off a petal (or 2 or 3) to make the flowers more 3D.  These flowers above have 7 petals instead of 8.
 Cut out a small circle (doesn't have to be a perfect circle) to stick in the middle.
 I cut out a larger circle to cover the backs of the flowers.
 Snip into the middle of the circle (especially when covering flowers with 7 petals or less) to give a neater finish.
 Put glue onto the circle and stick down, covering the folded pleats.

 The backs of the flowers.
You don't have to layer the flowers.  I created daisies by using the extra small size, and placing a circle of yellow in the middle.  I used metallic paper for these daisies.

You could use pages from old books to create a vintage or shabby chic look.  Experiment with printed paper, coloured paper, different weights, etc.

I haven't made stems or leaves yet.  The instructions detail how to create leaves using the punch.

Some ideas for using paper flowers: 
birthday decorations
party decorations
card making
attach a flower onto a present
string flowers together to create bunting
make posies
baby shower decorations
table decorations
Mothers Day
decorating Easter bonnets
Spring crafts
string up and attach to a coat hanger or a stick, to create a mobile.










No comments:

Post a Comment