Saturday 27 February 2016

Zen Sand Trays





These Zen Sand Trays were inspired by Rachel's Stimulating Learning Blog, where she uses Zen sand trays in her classroom.

I like to mix sand with cornflour to give it a light, soft texture.  The above sand was painted: mix sand with blue paint; spread out on a tray and let dry.  I then mixed it with cornflour.  I don't use measurements, but perhaps 2 cups cornflour to 4-5 cups sand?  I don't know, I just chuck some in.  


Make sure your dishes that you use for sand trays have high edges, otherwise the sand falls out pretty quickly.

I scoured the room and second hand shops for appropriate trays and containers.  I used a pretty cardboard box; the above picture uses a screw-top lid; baking tins; and plastic trays.

I scour second hand shops for spoons and scoops; and I collect the scoops from tins of baby milk formula.  If you can find miniature rakes and forks, they are perfect too.  When putting out the Zen sand trays, I set out a little dish of spoons and scoops for children to use.

I like to set out a plate of pebbles and shells for children to decorate their sand trays with.  Other things you can use for decoration include:
leaves
petals
glass nuggets
bottle tops
miniature ornaments and figurines, such as the dragon above
sticks
branch slices

I also like to set out glass jars with lids, so that children learn to unscrew lids, which helps to develop strength in their hands (which they will need for writing).  The children love using the scoops to fill up the jars - which requires hand-eye co-ordination, control, fine motor skills, and grip.

Be aware that this is a table that does get messy, especially if there are younger children in the room.  Sand gets everywhere! Have a dustpan and brush handy to sweep it up; I put it back on the table.

I do find that as a table gets messy, children will be less likely to play there.  But once I tidy up the table, sweep it, re-sort the pebbles and shells, and distribute the sand amongst the trays again, the children flock to it.  It is a lovely way to let them explore ways to make patterns, decorate, and make little sand gardens.


Click on the link for more of my teaching resources

No comments:

Post a Comment